Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Forced Vacation Of Illness

*cough*

*hack*

*wheeze*

*croak* Hey, wassup?

Sometimes it takes a well-timed lung plague to slap you in the face and say "YO! YOU BEEN WORKIN TOO HARD! SLEEP, DANGIT!"

Because when every breath feels like you're breathing in finely ground glass and your head feels like it weighs about 50 lbs, all those homework projects you had to finish don't seem quite so important. You know what does seem important?...Just about anything else.

And so, here I am, giving you what is apparently a bi-weekly blog update (assuming bi-weekly actually means once every other week, and not twice a week...I can never keep those straight...). But don't worry, this post won't just be all about homework and the joys of being sick. Nope, this week,  I decided to take a look at what was going on with the Hunger Games movies, as I've been a bad fangirl and failed to check on it in a while andHOLY COW I'VE BEEN NEGLECTING THE HUNGER GAMES FOR TOO LONG! Stuff happened! And I missed it! So, just in case you missed it too for some reason, I am here to fill you in. You're welcome.

And in case you've forgotten (somehow) or are new to the insanity here, The Hunger Games is a trilogy of super excellent books by Suzanne Collins about a futuristic dystopian society where the ruling capitol demands that two kids from every district take part in the annual Hunger Games: Last one standing wins. The story centers on Katniss, her co-tribute Peeta, and their attempts to survive the brutal rules of the game. Lionsgate bought the rights to the movie, Suzanne Collins is on the screenplay-writing team, Gary Ross (of Seabiscuit) is directing, and Hugh Laurie is not going to play Katniss and Peeta's drunken mentor Haymitch. Alright? Everyone's caught up now. They had been holding auditions for the main roles for a while now, but sometime between when I last checked and now, they found their Katniss, Peeta, and Gale already.

Katniss Everdeen is going to be played by Jennifer Lawrence.
Yeah, she's blonde, but seriously, Hollywood magic has dealt with more. According to an interview with Director Gary Ross, he and Collins are pretty excited about her potential to play Katniss. And while a lot of other fans are focusing on the fact that she's too old (a whopping 20) to play a 16 year old, Collins' main fear was that they would cast someone too young, which I agree with. Katniss may be 16 physically, but she's much more mature than that, and with a little movie-magic, Jen could do a pretty good job. And in case you're blanking out as to where you've seen this girl before, you might recognize her from the Bill Engvall show, or as the Oscar nominated actress from the Oscar nominated movie Winter's Bone. Yeah, I can see it. She'll also be in X-Men: First Class this summer as Mystique/Raven Darkholm. My hopes for this girl go ever higher. But what would Katniss be without her boys?


Next up: Peeta Mellark, the strong, witty baker's son that gets chosen to compete alongside Katniss. He's officially being played by Josh Hutcherson.
Who you may or may not know from such films as The Kids are Alright (Laser), Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (Steve), Journey to the Center of the Earth (Sean), The Bridge to Tarabithia (Jess), oh, and a voice in the English version of Howl's Moving Castle. Yep. That's all. (That's not actually all, that's just all I felt like listing). And if you're not convinced he'll do a great job as Peeta, check out what this quote from the thehungergamesmovie.org: "I was fortunate enough to be in the room with Gary Ross when Josh came in to audition,” said Collins, in a statement. “Three lines into the read I knew he’d be fantastic. Josh totally captured Peeta’s temperament, his sense of humor and his facility for language. I’m thrilled to have him aboard.” Well. There ya have it. 


But those of us who have read and love the books know that the dynamics between Katniss and Peeta are nothing without that added complication from Gale Hawthorne, Katniss'...friend/brother/lover/friend/person. He shall be played by Liam Hemsworth.
Yes. I can already see it. A little more hair and that's Gale all over the place! What, you need more? Ok, granted, his filmography isn't very impressive. The best known movie he was in was Knowing...and, well....ya know how well that one turned out. Unless you've heard of the The Last Song. I haven't, but he was in it, so if it was good...well there you go. But just like the previous two choices, Collins seems quite thrilled with his addition to the cast. And I say that if the author's happy, I'm happy. So there. 


Anyway, that's all I've got for now. I'm gonna go take a nap. See you next week (or perhaps the following week...) for some more average nerdiness!

3 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who's constantly depressed by the Hunger Games? I mean, the premise is literally 'most of these characters will die'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel better, you! In the meantime I will attempt to care about the Hunger Games. I will try so hard (cuz its you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon: Well, I was not aware of this premise when I started reading them, and then there was no room for depression because it was all just shock, and then I just had to finish it, depressed or otherwise. I think waiting for this movie is like an extension of "just needing to finish it." For closure, you know?

    Megan: It's a deal. I'll work on feeling better while you work on being hooked on the Hunger Games. HOOKED I SAY! Though, admittedly, you should have more time to be interested after GRADU-FREAKIN-ATION!!! Does it seem all surreal yet?

    ReplyDelete