Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Who needs a turkey when there are dragons??

Happy Turkey Day, Internet! And what better way to celebrate this classic American holiday than with the time honored traditional element: dragons! No, you heard me, I'm celebrating my Thanksgiving with dragons.

 
Be Jealous

But why, you may ask, am I forgoing the traditional turkey and stuffing for a more mythological approach? I dunno, I'm bored, so why not. 

Technically it all started with a movie that is apparently still underrated, given the amount of people I've introduced it to since it released on DVD. I'm talking, of course, of the Dreamworks gem, How to Train Your Dragon.
Don't tell me you don't want three

Seriously, if you haven't seen it yet, what in the world are waiting for? Sure, it's no Shrek, and it's no Pixar movie, but there have by far been worse movies in existence (really, just look at last week's post). It's cliched, but who cares? It's pretty; I'm sorry if you missed the chance to see it in 3D in theaters, but blue ray on a good tv comes pretty close. It sounds freaking awesome

It's hard to just pick one to post, so you're homework is to listen to more!

and ultimately, it's FINALLY a good movie about dragons! I mean, what great dragon movies have we had lately? No, wait, what good movies containing dragons at all have we had lately? 
ok, there's one. A minor character, at best. And before that?

that's the Harry Potter dragon, if you forgot about it too. And before that?

uuummm, not so much. Great books, lousy movie. Before that?

granted, it was awesome when I was 12, and I haven't seen it since, but that alone should be a good indication of lousyness, right?

Anyway, you get the point. We were due for a good dragon movie. Very, very due. 

And to continue my newly created tradition, today Cartoon Network premiered a new movie "Firebreather," about a 16-year-old half human half dragon named Duncan. I was bored, it promised dragons, and so I watched it. 

Honestly, I wasn't expecting very much, and that's exactly what I got. Not very much. But come on, you promise some dragons, at least just make all the "monsters" dragons, not...wierd...demon...things. They did, however, enlist the voice acting of one Dante Basco to play Duncan's friend. You may recall him as the firebending Prince Zuko in the Avatar cartoon, and also as American Dragon: Jake Long (yeah, remember that one?). Basically, Basco can't seem to stay away from those dragon-fire related roles, eh? 

Finally, I've been reading a new book (I know, shock!) that seems like it holds some promise. It's called Starlighter, by Bryan Davis. 
Looks promising, though, right?

I'm not very far in yet, but so far there are two separate stories going on (I can only assume they merge at some point). One involves Jason Masters, who's of the warrior variety in a world that merges sci-fi photon ray guns with classic medieval swordsmanship, and his mission to locate a gateway that may or may not exist. Meanwhile, Koren is a human slave girl in a world ruled by dragons. Real dragons. Real dragons that have more society and civilization (and...slaves) than any dragons I've seen or read about so far, but hey! You can only establish so many rules about mythological creatures, right? Anywho, we'll see how this book goes. In the meantime, go enjoy your new Turkey Day tradition (or just stick to the old ones, I'm not picky). But don't forget to tune in next time for some more average nerdiness!

3 comments:

  1. HTTYD confused me. I saw it the same week I saw The Secret of Kells, where vikings were faceless pillaging asshats. So, y'know. Mixed signals.

    Dragons rock, and if you can't find decent entertainment about them, make one, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Reign of Fire, so so so terrible. And yeah, I dunno what you were thinking by watching Firebreather. Wasn't his dad supposed to be some kind of Godzilla dealie? Oh! More importantly, I kept wondering when I saw the commercial: how the HECK did his parents managed to have sex? I mean I guess they can't say it explicitly but they at least address in some way how a human woman had a son by a friggin godzilla monster?

    I just wonder is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dragons do indeed rock, and I still think HTTYD passes as decent entertainment, though I'm not sure what to say about mixed signals.

    I told you, I was bored and it promised dragons. And yeah, I kept hoping for some kind of PG explanation as to how that was possible, but all you get is "It's really very simple" before they move on and leave us all hanging. Meanwhile, the scientist in me wants to point out that, had some kind of crossbreeding been possible, it seems likely that the result would be a whoooole lot more godzilla dealie than human-esque. Also, he should be able to regenerate limbs if he loses them. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete