Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Post That Could Only Dream Of Being That Epic

I had a hard time deciding what to post about this week. There hasn't been anything too geek-tastic to give me any jolts of inspiration this week. And then a miracle occurred in the student union theater on campus, where we students get to see wonderful pre-release movies for a dollar: they're showing Scott Pilgrim vs The World!
The tagline speaks the truth

I realize that I'm late to the Scott Pilgrim party (sorry, internet!) but at least I'm attending, right? 

Anyway, it's playing all weekend, and I may or may not start classes on Monday having seen it once each day...shut up. It was great. Well, it started great, anyway. 

If you didn't already know, the movie was based off of a series of graphic novels. I did get a chance to read the books before I saw the movie, but I feel like it might have been better the other way around. Don't get me wrong, it was still an excellent movie, and "the book is always better than the movie," I just felt a little...let down, I guess. Perhaps that's largely due to the fact that they followed the first two books almost completely exactly, even most of the third one. Everything after that just kind of got lost in translation, like they said "Oh, crap, we have to start summarizing some of this or the movie's going to be like 3 hours long!" 

I have to say, though, I loved that they acknowledged the fact that they changed so much. Towards the end, the second time Scott runs into the Chaos Theater, instead of saying something about which album is better, you can hear Comeau say "...based off of them. And the comics are way better than the movie..." which made me giggle a bit. So, if you saw the movie, but haven't read the books, good! There's so much more to get now! If you read the books and haven't seen the movie, go see it! It's still a great movie. If you haven't heard of this Scott Pilgrim phenomenon, I'm just not sure what to do with you ( I mean, if I'VE heard of it, you don't have a lot of excuse, honestly). 

Finally, remember back in post number one, when I mentioned that I dabble in various dorky things, but there's always someone nerdier out there? Here's a good example: I was watching the movie last night, and had the good fortune of sharing the theater with some guy who was just too excited about it. Every joke (and there are so many of them), he'd release this odd wheezy laugh. And sure, the whole audience would laugh at the jokes, but you could ALWAYS hear this guy above everyone else. And after every battle, he'd clap and cheer, like he forgot it was just a movie and that he really just witnessed someone exploding into a bunch of coins. I mean, I enjoyed it too, but I wasn't quite that overcome with emotion at every victory. But, to each his own, I suppose....

On a separate but slightly related note (by which I mean we are still on the topic of books-turned-movies), remember the Hunger Games? Yes, I read the next two, and yes, they were everything I hoped for and more! Well, Lionsgate is officially making the movie, set to release in 2013. WOO! Why can I afford to be excited? Because Suzanne Collins, the genius behind the books, is ALSO set to do the adaptation. There's just something comforting about movies when authors do the adaptation themselves. You know the movie will catch as much of the original vision as possible, and that it will come as close as it can to showing you what the author saw when writing it. Because, you know, otherwise you get jerk-faced director/screenwriters who think THEY understand what it's all about, and, well,
this happens. 

ANYWAY, that won't happen with the hunger games. No word yet on who will play Katniss. Some rumors flying around have suggested that Twilight's Kristin Stewart play the leading lady, a suggestion that made me throw up a little. Other rumors, however, have been suggesting that they cast Kick Ass's Chloe Moretz, a suggestion I think I could approve of. Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see, but you can bet I'll be sharing updates as they become available!

Anywho, that's all for now. Tune in next week for some more average nerdiness!

3 comments:

  1. And now you understand!! Part of the reason the ending is so different is because Bryan Lee O'Malley hadn't written the 6th book yet when they were filming. And your "subtle" reference to the theatrical abomination that was Last Airbender made me lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chloe Moretz can be Prim, or Rue if they decide to ignore the admittedly easily ignorable race thing, but thus far, everyone suggested for Katniss seems too...I don't know, actress-y. Like, she can't be an established actress who looks like she's acting, and moves like she's acting, and just screams actress. A newcomer, maybe. Let's get some careers rolling.

    Scott Pilgrim is the shit, okay? How dare ye show up so late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan: yeah, I thought you might like that :D

    Simon: ooooo, she'd make a good Prim, that's true. And I agree, the role would probably be best filled by a newcomer. Heck, all of them should be filled by newcomers. Except you know that they have to put a few big names in it so they can sell it :/ Also, hey! I'm fashionably late ;D

    ReplyDelete